[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Historiska världars forum • Visa tråd - Small, light, fast viking axe

Small, light, fast viking axe

Detta forum är till för diskussion kring historiska vapen, och deras tillverkning.

Small, light, fast viking axe

Inläggav Ragnaras » 2 september 2011, 11:23

Hello.

Maybe someone of you have some archeological data about 9-11 c. small, light and fast viking axes?
It would be great to get photo with measurements to make a sketch for
our local blacksmiths to order.

Thank you very much for your help.

...and my axe!
Ragnaras

Inläggav Edvin » 4 november 2011, 09:15

Sorry, did not see this thread before.

What kind of size are you looking for? I have a couple of documented axes if you would like to have a look. This one is my favourite, I would really like to see a copy!

Bild

---------------------------------------
<b>Audhumbla Hantverk</b>
http://www.facebook.com/Audhumbla.se
Edvin

Inläggav Matti » 4 november 2011, 12:18

So small I wonder if it would be of any real use in battle. These axes are more likely to have been carried as somekind of badge of honour or such. Or have something in common with the later "stickaxes" or "rodaxes". There were axeshaped handles on walking sticks used by farmers of some standing into the 19th century on the swedish countryside. They served a dual purpose of badge of standing and as a self-defence weapon. A simpler from or the swordcane one could say. If you look at some old school metal handles for walking sticks you can see the axe shape and I have seen such an axe found in North Halland that is a light axe but the shape is the same as walking stick handles.

Not for proper battle but surely useful for self-defence.
Matti

Inläggav Edvin » 4 november 2011, 12:27

I absolutely believe that this small axes was used as weapons and quite effective ones at that. The momentum of a small axe head on a long handle is impressive and there is hundreds of these small axes in the archaeological material.

<b>Audhumbla Hantverk</b>
http://www.facebook.com/Audhumbla.se
Edvin

Inläggav Matti » 4 november 2011, 16:28

Hmm could true. Have anyone ever done any experiments with them? They should have speed on their side at least and against larrgely unarmoured targets they would do enough damage.
Matti

Inläggav Cederqvist » 8 november 2011, 17:17

ive made some copies, and tried them out on wood, pigcarcasses and "shields". quite effective.
Cederqvist

Inläggav Matti » 8 november 2011, 17:45

Sounds groovy. Did these style of smaler axes continue into the medieval period other then as the axesticks or were there similar light axes found before the viking period?

I know that the socket axes of the early iron age could be both light and probably fast. But the usual interpretation is that they must be tools first. That be said, few tools easily makes such a splendid weapon as the axe.
Matti

Inläggav Fågelblå » 11 november 2011, 21:40

I've tried to fight with a smaller axehead and I'd say a smaller axhead is more agile and moves more lightly and can deal some really nice strikes. And I as a woman prefer a lighter weapon that gives me a more agile and moving fighting style since it suits me as a person (and also that I don't have to carry any extra weaponry-weight ^^)

/Fågelblå
Om träden börjar dansa, låt dem dansa!
Fågelblå

Inläggav Johan Käll » 13 december 2011, 00:43

of course small axes would be effective. the principle of force applied on a small edge is the same as on a hammer or pick.

Johan käll
Albrechts Bössor
www.albrechts.se
Johan Käll

Återgå till Vapen