Götaborg history

This is a forum where any question on the reconstruction of past times can be posed. The forum is mainly directed towards foreign visitors.

Götaborg history

Inläggav Vinlandr » 15 oktober 2004, 10:58

Hej, I was in touch briefly with a Viking LH group from Götaborg, but I lost touch, and the email contact on the website is out of date. I would like to learn about the history of the area around the mouth of the Göta river in the Viking period. I am aware that the city Götaborg came along much later.

-Kalle
Vinlandr

Inläggav Admin » 23 oktober 2004, 10:15

this is a rather broad question, can you be more precise?

/Henrik
Admin

Inläggav Emoni » 23 oktober 2004, 10:27

Hi!
I think you mean the group Elvegrimarne, right? When you send them an e-mail you often get a replay saying that the e-mail didn't go through. But it does! No one knows why you get that strange message. Anyhow, they are not too fast to replay to the e-mails you send them, I've noticed this several times.
There is however one (at least) girl (Härvor) here on the forum that is a member of this group, if you would contact her I think you would get a faster replay.

//Emoni
Emoni

Inläggav Vinlandr » 26 oktober 2004, 00:45

Emoni, thanks, I will look for her.

Henrik, I'll try to be more specific. I am interested to learn if any archaeological finds have been found around Götaborg in the way of villages or farms. I'd like to know what artifacts have been found, and what may be known about the people living near the mouth of the Göta river or anywhere nearby Götaborg around 925 to 1050, roughly.

-Kalle
Vinlandr

Inläggav Peter » 28 oktober 2004, 11:07

Vinlandr: Why not try *email removed, read the forum rules! /Angus* He is a researcher at the university of Göteborg, and he is specializing in the Göteborg area in the period 700-1200.

Another tip is http://www.hum.gu.se/ark/ ? Click "Personal" at the left oft the screen. It is a list of staff at the university of Göteborg, dept of archaeology. I suggest you try either one, and if he or she can't help you, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Peter

Inläggav Vinlandr » 29 oktober 2004, 11:13

Peter, thanks, they look very much like the sort of resource I am seeking. As you can see, Angus conscientiously eliminated the email address so it couldn't be farmed, etc. Perhaps you can email me privately and give it to me that way? The link to Göteborg university is also great, tack!

Kalle
Vinlandr

Inläggav Peter » 1 december 2004, 18:08

I'm not sure who it was I referred to :). I guess it was Claes Theliander.
You can reach him at the following address:
Claes-dot-Theliander(at)archaeology-dot-gu-dot-se

Where -dot- of course, stands for .

Good luck again!

Angus: Sorry!
Peter

Återgå till English forum