questions about Viking events and markets

This is a forum where any question on the reconstruction of past times can be posed. The forum is mainly directed towards foreign visitors.

questions about Viking events and markets

Inläggav Evalill » 27 mars 2008, 16:13

Hello.

Me and my husband, Gregory (who is the armourer who made lately few replicas of Vendel Period helmets, maybe you know our site : www.thorkil.ovh.org) are planning now our holidays. Of course, we want them to be Viking holidays.
We wanted to spend some time in Denmark in Ribe and visit Moeasgaard festival, but there is no more room for Moeasgaard this year.

So, we are thinking about Sweden. We were in Foteviken last summer and it was great. But this year we can have holidays no sooner than in July.

Could you recommend us some fine Viking events or markets in Sweden in July? and in August, eventually? We would like to have 3 weeks of holidays.

I would like to visit Birka - is there an event or a market?

We have a lot too offer, not only selling our beautiful helmets. ;) Thorkil could do a show presenting forging helmets of one piece of steel (like it was in Middle Ages), if organisers would provide conditions of good furnace (hearth? I am not sure which word is correct) and a smithy. Do you know if some museum/market would be interested in such an offer?

All the best from Poland,
Gracjana and Gregory (aka Thorkil).
Evalill

Inläggav Johan Käll » 27 mars 2008, 17:24

There is a market in Uppsala, that is close to Vendel, in 6-8 june.
Johan Käll

Inläggav Evalill » 27 mars 2008, 17:37

Thanks a lot, Johan. We would love to go to Uppsala and visit Vendel burial ground, but, as I have written in first post, we cannot have our holidays earlier than in July. ;)

We have many orders and we cannot disappoint our customers. I haven't been putting much orders for July and August, so those are the only months we can have our holidays. We simply have lots of work, before and after July and August.

So, please, could you recommend some events in July or August?

Gracjana.
Evalill

Inläggav Johan Käll » 27 mars 2008, 20:16

Well.. not i, im more of a 14:th century kind of a guy. The Uppsala was the only one i knew about that was viking, mainly cos i know the ones arranging it and the keep hassling me with invites... I bet the vikings of the forum will wake up soon and enlighten you though.

I dont think birka has anything though... and.. there is virtually nothing to see there either. Unless you like to watch grass and water.
Johan Käll

Inläggav Martin Wallgren » 27 mars 2008, 21:35

You can come to us in Örnsköldsvik the 11 -13 of july. We are hosting a Three-kings-gathering at Gene fornby. Mail me for more info at wallgrenmartin at hotmail dot com.

Insidently we need a lecturer so that could be perfect. The reconstrukted migrationperiod farm and smithy called Gene Fornby has all the facilities you need for forging.

The week after there is a late migrationperiod event at Eketorp on Öland that some of us will attend to.

Also there is the vikingweek in Östersund.
Martin Wallgren

Inläggav Evalill » 27 mars 2008, 21:56

Johan, thank you for information about Birka. That's really nice of you that you wanted to help. Don't worry, I understand you reenact later period. [:)]

Martin, thank you very much for those information! 11-13 July that would be perfect. [:)] I will email you with some questions.

BTW - do we know from MyArmoury.com ? [8D]

Gracjana.
Evalill

Inläggav Martin Wallgren » 28 mars 2008, 08:27

Yepp, I´m on Myarmoury too!
Martin Wallgren

Återgå till English forum